playing with paper

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Treasure: FDOI Ceremony Program

While I usually feature vintage or antique treasures here, today I have a newly-minted treasure. On Saturday, June 23rd, I attended my very first First Day of Issue Ceremony right here in Lancaster. The second set of stamped postcards featuring the Scenic American Landscapes was released at the National Topical Stamp Show. The ceremony was fairly low-key, but for a newbie, the stamp show was overwhelming.


This set includes the Lancaster County, Pennsylvania photograph featured on the international rate stamp released in January sans FDOI Ceremony.


After the ceremony, the speakers remained at the front of the presentation room to autograph programs. Once the stamp show opened, I purchased my booklet of postcards at the USPS booth and had the two Lancaster County postcards stamped with the First Day of Issue cancel. (I plan to mail the rest.) The gentleman in line before me was a pro, so I followed his lead and added postage to my program and had a special cancel applied to that as well. (I always carry a few spare stamps in my wallet.)


I learned two interesting things about postal cancels while waiting in line: an item must have postage in order to receive a cancel, and a stamp may only receive one cancellation. You may add additional stamps to an item to receive additional cancellations.

I am grateful I had the opportunity to attend!

No comments:

Post a Comment