playing with paper

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

In Writing: Flat Stanley

My eight-year-old spent the morning sorting through her books and reading as she went. When she finished, she had a pile of books for me to store away and an organized bookshelf!

She discovered a mail-related story I had forgotten, Flat Stanley by Jeff Brown. It was written in 1964, but surprisingly, I did not read it when I was young. It was introduced to me when my oldest daughter was in kindergarten or first grade. I read it aloud to her until she could take over and read it herself. Then she read it aloud to me! (Our edition is copyrighted 2003.)

"When Stanley Lambchop wakes up one morning, his brother, Arthur, is yelling.
A bulletin board fell on Stanley during the night, and now he is only half an inch thick!
Amazing things begin happening to him. Stanley gets rolled up, mailed, and flown like a kite. He even gets to help catch two dangerous art thieves. He may be flat, but he's a hero!"

It's hard to believe, but our Flat Stanley was never cut out and sent off on an adventure. Maybe I will add this to my list of mail-related projects for the summer.

You can find more about Flat Stanley and the latest generation of books at flatstanleybooks.com. Learn about the Flat Stanley Project at flatstanley.com. Author Jeff Brown passed away unexpectedly at the end of 2003, so I believe the new books are ghost-written by Sara Pennypacker, author of the Clementine books.

2 comments: