playing with paper

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Wednesday In Writing: The Postmistress

The Postmistress by Sarah Blake caught my eye from the clearance bin at the local Barnes & Noble store. Of course, with a cover photo and title like that, I knew it was going home with me. I began reading almost immediately, unusual for me, but I am making an effort to "do it now." At first, I just read a few pages or maybe a chapter before bed, but I was lucky to have a large block of quiet time on Mother's Day, and I finished it in one fell swoop. 

I loved it. It is a beautifully written story of life, love, and loss set during World War II. As the title and cover art suggest, the local post office and postmaster as well as letters have a starring role in the narrative. I have always been fascinated by personal stories from that era; as I read The Postmistress, I sometimes had to remind myself I was reading fiction. I enjoyed reading the author's notes and The Story Behind the Story at the end of the novel. I was sorry to see it end.

No comments:

Post a Comment