playing with paper

Friday, July 13, 2012

Found: Heritage Press Museum

I was lucky to have a rare morning all to myself today, and I took the opportunity to run a few errands without help. Afterward, I decided to head Downtown to enjoy two of my favorite Queen Street shops, Creative Reuse and Mommalicious. I shop at the first and window-shop at the latter!

While walking from one to the other, I passed the Heritage Press Museum. I only recently learned of their existence through an article in the local paper. After visiting both my intended destinations, I determined I would have a bit more solo adventure before retrieving the baby for naptime.

 (I first saw this text on Felt & Wire, and I'm thrilled to have my own copy to post in my workshop, printed in Lancaster!)

I dropped in the Museum and was welcomed by Mike and Bill, two members of the .918 Club. With limited space in the small storefront, they currently have two presses in use. An expansion planned for the fall will allow them to set up and use additional presses from their collection. They provided me with my own private tour, including the history of printing and demonstrations. Fascinated as I am with paper and type, I learned quite a bit.

(Yup, I printed this one. It will make a great postcard!)

I even got to try my hand at printing before I had to say good-bye. I hope to visit again soon; perhaps I can convince my dad it is time for another artists' date. I look forward to attending printing workshops with the .918 Club in the future. If you find yourself in Lancaster this summer, visit the Heritage Press Museum, and tell them the tall letter-writing lady sent you!

No comments:

Post a Comment