playing with paper

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Tuesday Treasure: Special Handling

1925-1955 Special Handling 10 cents
4TH CLASS SPECIAL HANDLING
The Postal Service Act of 1925 provided for a special handling stamp on 4th class mail (packages) that would allow for the expeditious handling of that parcel similar to 1st class service.
 
I love back-of-the-book postage stamps: airmail, special delivery, postage due. My parents are cleaning house and gifted me with a large box of used stamps on paper, originally from my grandma's house. I spent all my spare moments last week sorting, and this is one of the treasures I discovered. Until I saw this, I was not aware of the existence of Special Handling postage stamps. These appear to have a Washington D.C. cancel but no date included on the snippet of packaging.

No comments:

Post a Comment